Monday, April 14, 2008

One week today.

I've been in my new apartment in Astoria (Queens) for one week today. I'm adapting very well, all things considered. I'm sure moments of homesickness will set in in a month, but I've been doing well so far. It helps to know that I'll be heading back home every month or so to play with the Austin Symphony. And Brie has helped so very much to make me feel at home here and introduce me to people!

One of the challenges here will be to find coffeehouses where I can set up shop and do my web dev work away from home. It helps me to do this work away from home so that there is a clearer delineation between being at work and not being at work. But the coffeehouse culture here is very different from Austin. Free wi-fi is not so ubiquitous, and the spaces are tighter. Many of the cafes here in Astoria are more like they are in Europe, probably because more of the people here are in fact from Europe. So, there might be a little Italian-looking place that has a TV on inside that would be great for watching World Cup soccer, but won't do for me because they don't have Wi-Fi.

I'm sure I'll find places sooner or later.

No comments: